Thursday, March 5
divbyzero 05 Mar 2009 22:18
Topics from today's class:
- Crossing number
- Crossing number and alternating knots
- Isotopic surfaces
- Homeomorphic surfaces
- Due Monday: Fix your wiki page
- Due Monday: 3.15, 4.3
- Due Monday: Look up the unknotting number of your pet knot on this web page. Show on paper that your knot has this unknotting number (ie. draw a sequence of pictures showing that after making the crossing switches that it is the unknot).
- Due next Thursday: Put the unknotting number of your pet knot on your wiki page. In the justification box, draw a picture of your knot with the crossings that you need to switch circled. You do not have to draw the sequence of pictures showing that it is the unknot.
Read for next class:
- Nothing new to read
- here is the web page I mentioned that had references to the unknotting numbers.
- Below you should find my claymation video.
- Have a nice break!