Topics from today's class:
- Another look at the bracket polynomial
- The span of a polynomial
- The span the bracket polynomial for alternating knots
- 6.9 (you don't have do the entire bracket polynomial, just compute the contribution from 4 different states), 6.10, 6.11
- Pet knot: compute the span of the bracket polynomial for your pet knot. Use the techniques that we saw in the proof of today's main lemma. You do not have to compute the bracket polynomial. You may not use the result of the lemma to answer this question (although it will give you a good check).
- Wiki (due next Monday):
- Fill in the section on the genus of your pet knot
- Look up the Jones polynomial for your knot in this knot table and add it to your wiki page. In your justification, simply link to the knot table.
Read for next class:
- Remember that a first draft of your paper is due on Thursday.